You are in for a treat today
I had an absolutely lovely holiday in Cephalonia with my husband and family last week. Beautiful weather, family and a pool, what more could I ask for? I took my DSLR camera with me, fully intending to take lots of photos. Not once did it make it out of the bag I will make it up to you this week with a little holiday report and some smartphone photos!
Back to today’s recipe…
John has just tried a piece of this and I fear I won’t be seeing anything of the pieces left in the fridge 😉 Mixing soft peanut butter cookie base with peanut butter, caramel and extra chocolate has happily paid off!
The base comes from my Soft Baked Peanut Butter Cookies, which takes a little bit longer to bake in bar form (around 15 minutes). The cookie base is so soft, with the barest hint of chew on the outside edges. It takes mind over matter for me not to eat all of the batter for this cookie base, as soon as you add the peanut butter and vanilla it smells amazing. Now I’m not encouraging you to eat raw egg, however, just sneak a tiny taste of the raw cookie dough
The base is topped with a mixture of caramel and peanut butter. Yes. Caramel mixed with melted peanut butter. Amazing. How I haven’t mixed the two together before, I don’t know. But I’m glad I did Extra melted chocolate finishes the layers, which provides a nice texture contrast. I challenge you to stop at one piece of this 😉
- 115g (1/2 cup) soft butter
- 255g (1 and 1/2 cups) smooth peanut butter
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 150g (3/4 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 185g (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 60g (1/2 cup) peanut butter chips
- 50g (1/3 cup) milk chocolate chips
- 50g (1/3 cup) white chocolate chips
- 397g (1 tin) caramel
- 200g (1 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 100g (1/2 cup) melted white chocolate
- 100g (1/2 cup) melted milk chocolate
- First make the cookie base. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and line an 8 inch square tin with baking paper. Cream the butter and sugars together, then beat in the peanut butter.
- Beat in the egg, followed by the vanilla extract. Fold in the dry ingredients, then fold in the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips. Press the dough into the prepared tin and bake for around 15 minutes, until just browned around the edges.
- Cool the cookie base completely on a wire rack. To make the caramel, boil a tin of condensed milk for around 3 hours completely covered in water (tin unopened). This can be done as far in advance as you wish. Melt the peanut butter and mix with the caramel until smooth. Spread this over the cookie base, then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, spread the melted chocolate over the caramel/peanut butter and swirl with a knife. Leave to chill in the fridge for at least another 30 minutes.
- All recipes and photos are copyright Baking-Joy.com, unless stated otherwise. Please do not reproduce recipes without prior permission or linking directly back to the blog.