*Whispering* sometimes I think I like lemon bakes better than peanut butter (don’t tell anyone).
I’ve had a real lemon cake craving recently, I think I’m trying to force spring into our house (as I look out of the window now, it’s snowing. In April. What?!) One of my absolutely favourite baked items in lemon drizzle cake. It goes so well with tea for your afternoon break (or in some cases, breakfast ;-))
I wanted to pack the lemon flavour into this cake, so it takes 4 forms…lemon curd (do try making your own, it’s so easy I promise! Homemade microwave lemon curd), lemon curd yoghurt, lemon zest and lemon extract. I love the lemon extract for ramping up the flavour, I used it fairly recently in my Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies. I used lemon curd yoghurt from a lovely local company called Yeo Valley, but if you can’t get hold of this, using natural or greek yoghurt will work perfectly! In fact, if you like your lemon cake slightly less sweet, I’d recommend using a natural (no sugar added) plain yoghurt. The yoghurt increases the cooking time, but makes the cake so tender and soft to eat. It will also ensure it keeps longer than a normal sponge cake (if it lasts that long :-))
As this recipe contains quite a lot of wet ingredients, it is important to make sure they are thoroughly combined and do not curdle. First, cream the butter and sugar together for a few minutes, until it turns pale and fluffy. At this stage, add a tablespoon of flour, before mixing in the lemon curd, eggs and yoghurt. This should prevent the mixture from splitting.
The lemon flavour is enhanced even further by a simple lemon juice/granulated sugar glaze, which is best added just after the cake comes out of the oven. Make holes in the cake’s surface with a skewer or fork, before spooning over the glaze. As the cake cools, it turns all crunchy and delicious
Perfect with a cup of tea. Enjoy
- 175g soft unsalted butter
- 175g golden caster sugar (or superfine sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 100ml lemon curd yoghurt (or plain yoghurt)
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 200g self-raising flour (or plain flour with 2 tsp baking powder)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to Gas 3/170C. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- 2. Cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Mix in 1 tbsp of the flour.
- 3. Quickly mix in the eggs, yoghurt, lemon curd, lemon zest and lemon extract.
- 4. Fold in the flour until combined, but don't overmix.
- 5. Spoon batter into prepared tin and bake for around 1 hr 5 minutes (check after 55 mins, cake is done when a skewer inserted into the middle, comes out clean).
- 6. When cake is out of oven, make holes in the surface and spoon the glaze over. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
- All recipes and photos are copyright Baking-Joy.com, unless stated otherwise. Please do not reproduce recipes without prior permission or linking directly back to the blog.